It is not uncommon, but it can be a nuisance. Yes, the common cold. Viruses are the most common cause of cold. Antibiotics don’t work well and do not provide relief. Some infections can turn into bacterial, and antibiotics are useful in this situation. The antibiotics not only kill bad bacteria, but also destroy good bacteria. It is crucial to take probiotics after taking antibiotics in order to replenish good bacteria. It takes about a week to get medication. It is important to get some relief. This is especially important for toddlers and infants, who can’t blow their noses and get the phlegm out.
Below are some home remedies that are commonly used in my area and in my household.
- Kumkum is made from turmeric and is often used by Hindus because of its religious significance. It has amazing decongesting properties. Make sure you get a high-quality kumkum. Add a few drops of water to one teaspoon of kumkum. Heat it by adding two pinches of saffron. Let it cool, then apply to the forehead and nose of baby/child.
- Dry ginger powder can also be used in a similar way. Make a paste with a teaspoon of ginger powder, a few drops of water, and a few drops of olive oil. It should be heated and allowed to cool down until it is comfortable to touch. Apply to forehead, nose, and behind the ears. This is a better option for older children and adults.
- You can also use turmeric powder if you don’t have access to kumkum.
- Turmeric milk is great for both children and adults. Add turmeric powder to warm milk. This milk should be consumed before you go to bed.
- Garlic milk can be taken in. It is as simple as it sounds and can be given to toddlers and infants. Make sure your infant is not allergic to milk and garlic. Two cloves of garlic should be crushed and a few tablespoons of milk added. Let it boil. Once the milk is cool enough for consumption, you can drink it.
- A mixture of ajwain and betel leaves (called omam by tamil) is one of my favorite home remedies. Take a few betel leaves and crush a couple of cloves garlic. Add few pinches of crushed Ajwain seeds. Boil the mixture in a few tablespoons of water. Only the liquid should be given to the child. This treatment is also known as’vetrilai in Tamil and a partciular betel type called kamaravetrilai’.
- Vaporub application. I was also told by doctors that vaporubs were not beneficial. As a parent, you would do anything for your child to sleep for at least a few hours. Clearing their nose is essential for this. My child was not happy when I applied the vaporub. After giving my child a bath, I apply the vaporub to his chest and back and then rub some warm water on them. This will clear the nose and release the vapurs.
- Keep the room humid. Although there are many commercial humidifiers available, we have found that when you suffer from cold, a high humidity level can help provide some relief and help you sleep. We keep the steamer in the kitchen and keep refilling it.
- Congestion is relieved by the humidity. The humidity can be retained by keeping the room at a slightly higher temperature. However, it is important to ensure that the child does not become too hot.
- Eucalyptus oil can be applied to the sinuses, particularly in the big toes. The trick is to get the infant or child to give their leg for this toe massage.
- You can have several cups of ginger tea for adults. You can either add half a teaspoon dry ginger powder to a cup of hot water, or crush some ginger pieces and add it to the water. Boil the water until it changes colour.
- Congestion relief can also be achieved by inhaling the turmeric fumes, especially for adults. I take a piece dried turmeric and light one end. The smoke gives me great relief.
- You can call it ‘rasam’, or soup. It is the essence of very few things. Add one teaspoon each of crushed cumin seeds, crushed coriander seed, and some black pepper powder to the water and boil. Add some tamarind paste or puree and some salt to taste and enjoy the soup-like consistency. You can also make a decoction if you don’t like or have tamarind. Keep in mind that adults can blow their noses or spit out the phlegm. Babies and infants, however, are unable to do this. They either vomit or pass the phlegm in their motion, resulting in loose stools. However, it is worth talking to your doctor if you are worried.
Everyone has runny nose from time to another. While it is not serious or painful, it can be quite annoying. Sometimes, a runny nose can lead to sinus problems, coughing, and earaches. It is best to find a home remedy before it gets worse. Use saltwater to clean your nose. This works great, even though it can be painful. It is also very simple to make. You just need to boil eight ounces of water and add one tablespoon salt. Once the salt has dissolved completely, you can use the dropper to collect some solution and drop it into your nostrils. Inhale slightly to get more.
Continue doing this until you feel some relief. Once you feel it, blow your nose to clear the solution. Try spicy foods. This may sound strange, especially as spicy foods can cause a runny nose. The good news is that spicy foods can temporarily increase your nasal discharge, which will help flush out any toxins. Use mustard oil to your nostrils. This one is easy. You just need to heat some mustard oil and then use a dropper to apply the oil to each nostril. Because mustard oil has a strong smell, you can’t use both nostrils at once. You should let the mustard oil sit in one nostril for at least one to two minutes before moving on to the other. Inhale the thyme. Take about one to two tablespoons of dried thyme. If you don’t have one, crush it with a mortar and pestle (or a fork). Inhale the strong thyme scent as you do this. You can also use an oil derivative. If so, treat it the same as mustard seed.
This ancient Indian remedy is easy to use. Simply soak the dried turmeric in linseed oil and then combine it with other ingredients. To clear it, inhale the oil through your nose. Prop your Head. To effectively get rid of a runny nose, you just need to prop your skull up. Simply raise your head about 10 inches. It is a good idea to have a good remedy for a runny nose. This will help you eliminate it without the need to use medicines. It is affordable and you will not experience any side effects.